Back to the Roots is on a mission to Undo Food. In a college class, we learned mushrooms could grow entirely on spent coffee grounds. After watching hours of how-to videos and turning our fraternity kitchen into a big science experiment, we eventually decided to give up our corporate job offers to instead become full-time mushroom farmers. What started as curiosity about urban farming has turned into a passion to Undo Food and reconnect families back to where it comes from.
- Ready-to-grow cans make indoor herb gardening fun and easy! Each organic herb variety can includes everything you need to start growing, including: organic, non-GMO seeds, nutrient rich soil, and moisture-balancing biochar – all pre-blended for low-maintenance, organic herbs right on your kitchen or classroom windowsill. Just plant the organic seeds, water, and grow!
- Learn more about the the science inside plants and your home herb garden with hands-on curriculum – from the parts and functions of a plant, to the growth cycle and benefits to our ecosystem. Download the full Garden-in-a-Can curriculum at backtotheroots.com!
- Grow One, Give One! Submit a photo of your growing Garden-in-a-Can – for every photo Back to the Roots receives, they donate one to a classroom of your choice. Upload your photo at backtotheroots.com/giveone.
- When you’re ready to harvest, visit backtotheroots.com for mouthwatering herb recipe ideas. From herb butter to salsa, dips, sauces, soups, and more – there’s a tasty herb-inspired recipe for every palette!
- With biochar, it is never been easier to grow herbs indoors. Biochar is the charred remnants of agricultural waste through a process called pyrolysis, a technique mastered by Amazonian tribes centuries ago. Biochar is very porous and holds excess moisture to prevent over- or under-watering, aerates the soil for quick root growth, and increases nutrient absorption. No need for transplanting, drainage holes, or messy trays – the biochar does the work for you, making each herb garden kit simple and fun.